Wednesday, April 23, 2008

“Voices in Her Head”

This New Republic article on HRC’s campaign and its dysfunction is so interesting I want to blog about it three times. (HT: Betsy’s Page)

The first issue it raises, for me, is one of intellectual consistency. Not for TNR but for this blogger. A couple of months ago I speculated that The New Republic--given its long history of dishonesty--had lying coded into its DNA.

Yet here I am about to deal with one of its articles as if it is essentially true.

You could not ask for a better example of the Murray Gell-Mann Amnesia effect.

My only response is the Gelernter-Whitman Exception:

But if you allow carpers to shoo you away from every generalization before you have time to explore it, you have no hope of coming to grips with basic questions of modern America.

David Gelernter, Drawing Life: Surviving the Unabomber


Do I contradict myself?
Very well, then, I contradict myself;
(I am large—I contain multitudes
.)

Walt Whitman, "Song of Myself"

No comments: