Tuesday, October 11, 2011

CNN's new star gets off on the wrong foot


David Zurawik:
I promised myself I was going to give CNN's new weeknight host Erin Burnett a full week of shows before I reviewed her.

It was hard keeping that promise Monday night when I saw her pay a visit to the Occupy Wall Street encampment so she could look down her nose and mock the folks there. I thought it downright cruel the way she and her producer cut one kid from the herd and then tried to make him look like a fool. This was cool kids mocking outsiders on the playground, and it made me angry
.
She's even catching fire from the Capitalist's Tool:
Erin Burnett Is Vapid, Occupy Wall Street Matters
I have to question the big brains at CNN. In what altered state did it make sense to have CNBC's material girl take on OWS with snark and mockery? Come to think of it, given her ties on Wall Street and her own career path through some the worst bailout queens (Citicorp, Goldman Sachs), the Occupy Wall Street protests were a story best left to others.

No comments: