Monday, June 13, 2005

Deep Throat; No choice but to leak?


Richard Helms, A Look over My Shoulder

When President Nixon ordered his White House staff-- Messrs. Halderman, Ehrlichman, and Dean-- to direct me (via General Walters) to supply bail for the Watergate burglars, and to deflect the FBI's investigation of the crime, I instructed Walters to refuse their demands. Rather than force my resignation, and presumably face the likely intense public curiosity about the reasons for my leaving, President Nixon backed away.

Helms's actions show that the Nixon crowd were easily cowed by officials willing to do their duty. Felt, obviously, had the same power to focus "intense public scrutiny" on the White House by airing his concerns and resigning. (Or better yet, bringing them to Congress). His motives for leaking are clearly more ambiguous and less honorable than his rabid apologists will admit.

No comments: